I didn’t donate N1b to COVID-19 fund — Obi

By Valentine Amanze

The Vice Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) during the last Presidential elections, Mr. Peter Obi, has dismissed reports the in social media that he donated a N1 billion to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Relief Fund.
He said, “I have not donated to the fund”, according to a statement on Tuesday by his media aide, Mr. Valentine Obienyem.

Reacting to the list of purported donors to the fund, which has gone viral, in which his name appeared as number 33 and a billion Naira indicated as the amount he has allegedly donated, Obi said the issue at hand was so scary and of great importance to the world, “especially our dear country to be tainted by any manner of fake news.
He implored purveyors of fake news to desist from that.
His words: “As a Nigerian, I am deeply worried about the situation in the world, especially what Nigeria and its citizens are going through. I had earlier made case for the vulnerable and advised that their plight should be a priority in any decision on how to fight the pandemic.”
Obi, who thanked Nigerians that have contributed to the on-going efforts to check the spread of COVID-9 in the country, and to bring relief to the victims of the virus, called for more support from individuals and organizations according to abilities, to tackle what he described as “global catastrophe.”
Besides, he assured of his commitment to be part of the solution to the scourge by among other things, making his own contribution in his own way.
He prayed to the Almighty God to continue to save His people.

News Category: