No lives lost in Nembe Creek fire incident - Aitco

By Valentine Amanze

The management of Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production Co has said that there were no fatalities - human incidents or damage to community property - as a result of an explosion on its facilities in Nembe, Bayelsa State on March 2, 2019.
It further disclosed that it was still working with all the relevant authorities to restore full functionality to the relevant installations and affected areas.
It would be recalled that on March 2, 2019, a suspected explosion occurred in the Niger Delta, within the vicinity of Nembe Creek Well 7, behind Mile 1 Community in Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
But the company, in a statement, clarified that all the wells and facilities in the immediate vicinity had been inspected and secured.
It however pointed out that the incident did not occur at or involve any part of the 97 kilometre pipeline, Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL) or other pipelines.
“It is important to note that prior to this incident, all facilities had been shut down since February 28, 2019 due to NCTL outage. Accordingly, any account suggesting that this incident arose from or affected any pipelines is wholly inaccurate and misleading,” it said.
Besides, it disclosed that full investigations to determine the cause of the fire and, in particular, to determine whether it might have been caused by third-party infractions, remain ongoing.
“These investigations are being pursued with the utmost urgency and have been given the highest priority.
“We are continuing to work with all the relevant authorities to restore full functionality to all the relevant installations and affected areas,” it said.
The company, however, commended its stakeholders for their support and understanding whilst urging calm and vigilance.
It promised that it would continue to share information on new developments in due course.

News Category: