Wicked! How man bagged one year for rape, murder of nine-year-old boy in Kontangora

  • Posted on: 10 April 2017
  • By: editor

By Ummi lsmaeel,



Thirty seven-year ex-convict, Nuhu Musa, who completed his one-month jail term last week at Kontagora prison, may return to the place for rape, abduction and murder.

 Besides, the Niger State government has expressed dissatisfaction with the mild punishment meted out to Musa, who abducted and raped to death of a nine-year-old boy (names withheld), an

 offence, which triggered off protests by youths and human rights groups in the state.

  Already, Niger State has called for the re-arraignment of the ex-convict who was charged and convicted before a Magistrate Court in Kontagora last month.

 It would recalled that the Court passed the sentence on Musa on two count charges, each of which he got away with a one month jail term and consequently ended up with a month's jail term as the two counts charges ran concurrently.

The youths in Kontangora were asking why Musa got only a month's jail term with an option of fine of N30, 000, which he opted for the prison term that lasted till Tuesday, April 4, 2017 when he became a free man.

Meanwhile, the Police in the state have assured that the ex-convict would be charged for a three-count offences of kidnapping, rape and consequent murder of the small boy.

The release of Musa, our correspondent gathered, did not only spark off outrage and indignation among the locals but soon became a matter that brought about casting aspersions on the state government, prompting it to wade in quickly.

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Niger State Command, DSP Bala Elkanah, confirmed the reopening of Musa case.

“The police will carry out further investigations on the matter on the orders of the state government. This is because Musa's sentence was not commensurate with the gravity of the offence he committed”, the PPRO said.

According to the state police imagemaker, “The nine-year old boy was first abducted by Musa, raped and injured the boy in the process. The boy was later admitted to hospital and subsequently operated upon but died a day later from the injuries sustained from the rape”.